A proposal to build 140 houses is about to be submitted for the fields between Tower Road and Maitland Drive. There are currently approximately 900 houses in our village – this is a massive development! Further significant development at a number of sites around the village will undoubtedly follow if planning approval is granted for this location. Following the recent public consultation, a group of residents has decided to seek the views of the community for this major development which will be constructed entirely within the Green Belt.
The majority of the agricultural land around Torrance is owned by developers. Approval of the proposed planning application would make it very difficult to oppose future erosion of the countryside around Torrance, Balmore and beyond as a clear precedent would then exist.
- Up to 20% increase in the village population
- Linking of roads between Maitland Drive, Tower Road, Smeaton Ave / Forth Road – rat runs!
- Traffic congestion around our village school and Main Street shops
- Wholly inadequate public transport only operating with subsidies
- Unclear prospect for any improvements to community facilities or number of shops
- No increase in long term local employment
- Loss of village identity
A public meeting is being held on Monday 17 November at 7.45 in the Primary School to determine if the community is willing to join together and oppose any development within the Green Belt. There will be a brief presentation followed by an opportunity for discussion and to question our Councillors.
Please join us and let the Council know that development on the Green Belt is not acceptable.
You can indicate if you will be attending this meeting by commenting below or replying to the event created on Facebook.