History of the Kelvin Valley Railway
The Kelvin Valley Railway used to run between Kilsyth and Maryhill with branches to other local lines. It was opened in June 1878 and had a short independent life before it was absorbed by the North British Railway in August 1885. Although both passengers and freight were carried, it was the transport of coal to the Glasgow docks and the Lanarkshire Steel works that proved most lucrative. It was built in the 1870s following an Act of Parliament of 13th July 1876 and by 1880 was open for both passengers and freight. It remained open until April 1966.
Kilsyth was the original terminus of the Kelvin Valley Railway but it was closed when the Kilsyth and Bonnybridge Railway was opened. Kilsyth swimming baths now occupy its site. Torrance station had a single platform and until recently the remains of this station could be seen in the undergrowth. The station had one platform, a loop and a small yard. This yard saw business after the line’s official closure to this point. The site has now been landscaped and turned into an area of seating and bushes at the level of the road, which the railway used to pass under.
Much of the old route has now been transformed into a walkway along which all types of wildlife and plants can be seen.